Republican "No Can Do" Plan

Change is hard--particularly when it comes to our nation's immigration policy.  Change is even more difficult for a decade's old institution that, like a battleship incapable of agile navigation, gets stuck in a monolithic paradigm of traditional values, as is the case with the Republican Party.  By contrast, the immigrant community is anything but monolithic, and ironically, many immigrant communities hold traditional family values.  Particularly in the wake of the Superbowl, there are those who say that immigrants in the US should speak English--I agree--and I would add that third generat

Breaking Down The New, Proposed Waiver Process

As many of you know, President Obama is attempting to simply the process of obtaining one’s green card through a family member.  If an immigrant is in the US illegally for more than one year, when that person leaves the US for a consular appointment to get his or her legal permanent resident status, they are subject to a ten year penalty in which they cannot return to the US—unless they can show that their documented spouse and / or parents will suffer extreme hardship because of this separation.

What to Do if You Have to Go to Immigration Court

So you or a loved one has to go before an Immigration Judge and you do not know where to start: some think that they should just change their address and hide, others think that they must go with an attorney the first time.  Well, both strategies are not true, and the best answer is that the person with the court appointment MUST go to each and every hearing, and on the first appearance, one is not required to bring an attorney.